WHAT IS ACUPUNCTURE?
Acupuncture dates back over 3000 years to its foundations in China. It is a method of encouraging the body to promote natural healing and to improve functioning. This is done by inserting needles and applying heat or electrical stimulation at acupuncture points. A comprehesive Acupuncturist will always do a complete assessment and not only look at the symptoms that are presenting with each patient (the branch) but more importantly will look at and seek to discover why the symptoms are there to begin with (the root). By assessing and treating both the branch and the root the practitioner will be able to assist the patient in moving towards complete recovery, healing and harmony rather than just masking the symptoms.
How does it work?
The theory is that channels of energy, called meridians, run through the body and over its surface. Any obstruction in the movement of the energy can cause imbalance and result in various symptoms and illnesses. The acupuncture needles unblock the obstructions and re-establish the regular flow through the meridians, hence it restores the balance. Often in this continent we understand this as needling the acupuncture points which stimulates the nervous system to release chemicals in the muscles, spinal cord and brain. These chemicals will either change the experience of pain or they will trigger the release of other chemicals and hormones which influence the body’s own internal regulating system. This stimulates natural healing, and promotes physical and emotional well-being.
What is the scope of Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a system which can influence three areas of health care:
- Promotion of health and well-being
- Prevention of illness
- Treatment of various medical conditions
While acupuncture is often associated with pain control, in the hands of a well-trained practitioner it has much broader applications. The World Health Organization recognizes the use of acupuncture in the treatment of a wide range of medical problems including (and this list is growing every day):
- Digestive Disorders: gastritis, hyper acidity, spastic colon, constipation, diarrhea
- Respiratory Disorders: sinusitis, sore throat, bronchitis, asthma, recurrent chest infections
- Neurological/Muscular Disorders: headaches, post stroke rehabilitation, neuropathies, facial tics, neck pain, rib neuritis, frozen shoulder, tennis elbow, various forms of tendonitis, low back pain, sciatica, and osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia.
- Urinary/Menstrual/Reproductive Disorders: P.M.S, irregular menses, menstrual cramps, excessive bleeding, menopause.
- Mental Disorders: Acupuncture is also extremely beneficial with a high efficacy rate resolving tension, stress and emotional conditions like anxiety and depression. In addition to acupuncture treatment Natalie also offers coping techniques and meditation / breathing exercises to ensure success overcoming these challenges.
How fast does it work?
For most patients, relief can be felt after the first treatment. However there are other cases where pain may remain for a day or two, then completely disappear. In case of chronic conditions, it may need more time. Acupuncture will always improve your health to some level and degree but remember your condition did not arrive overnight so dont expect it to change overnight. Acupuncture assists with your body's natural healing abilities so have trust in that and know that you are supporting your body towards improved health and restoring balance naturally!
How many treatments will I need?
The number of treatments needed varies from person to person. For complex or long standing conditions, one or two treatments per week for several months may be recommended. For acute problems, usually fewer visits are required, and for health maintenance, once a month up to six sessions per year may be all that is necessary.
Are there any side effects to the treatment?
Usually not. Occasionally general changes in appetite, sleep, bowel/urination pattern, or emotional stated may be triggered. In a small minority of patients, about 10 % of patients, the original symptoms may also worsen for a few days. These should never be a cause for concern, as they are simply indications that the acupuncture is starting to work. It is quite common with the first one or two treatments to have a sensation of deep relaxation or even mild disorientation immediately following the treatment. These never require anything more than some rest to overcome.
Does it hurt?
People experience acupuncture needling differently. Most patients feel no discomfort or pain while some may experience minimal discomfort as the needles are inserted. Once the needles are in place, there is and should never be any discomfort.
Does it work for everyone?
Yes. Although Acupuncture is between 80% and 90% effective for certain conditions, you will always however, come out with an improved sense of health and wellbeing.
Drugs are far less successful than this with the addition of side effects with the strongest legal drug, morphine, relieving pain only in 50% of all cases. Even therapeutic surgery comes with no guarantees.
Should I try it only as a last resort?
No. It should always be considered before resorting to potentially harmful drugs and treatments. If acupuncture is not successful after several treatments over a course of several months, then one should consider serious lifestyle changes and other natural treatments that support the body. Medications should always be the last resort if at all.
WHAT IS FACIAL RENEWAL?
Facial Acupuncture is a full constitutional treatment that views the face as an extension of the meridians of the body, which flow from the soles of the feet to the crown of the head.When the face is needled, blood flows and Qi carries nutrients to the cells; the body interprets the insertion of the needles and through stimulation of fibroblasts can increase collagen output.
FACIAL ACUPUNCTURE BENEFITS:
- Reduces symptoms of Bell's Palsy, TMJ (tempormandibular joint dysfunction), neuropathies, and aids stroke patients
- Can improve collagen production and muscle tone
- Reduce bags and sagging tendencies/ fills in sunken areas
- Eliminates fine line and diminishes larger wrinkles
- Reduces double chin, sagging neck and lifts drooping mouth and eyelids
- Eliminates edema and puffiness, (bags under the eyes)
- Tightens pores and brightens the eyes
- Increases local blood and lymph circulation
- Improves facial color; provides more radiance to the skin
- Reduces stress; promotes total health and well-being
- Improves Acne (Caused by hormonal imbalance)
- Treats Menopause, Peri-menopause, PMS and other GYN issues
- Helps sinus congestion and headaches
- Treats diarrhea, constipation and other digestive issues
- Benefits the eyes, ears and brain
- Retards hair loss and hair graying
- Helps insomnia and dizziness
- Helps depression and aids self-esteem
WHAT IS ACUTONICS?
The Acutonics Sound Healing System is an energy-based, non-invasive treatment that is similar to acupuncture but without needles. Precision-calibrated tuning forks are applied to specific acupuncture, acupressure, and trigger points of the body to access the body's Meridian and Chakra energy systems. These tuning forks represent a natural harmonic series based on the orbital properties of the Earth, Moon, Sun and other planets. Their rich resonance and vibration connects with and supports the body's natural frequencies. It brings us to alignment with the cycles of the Cosmos known since antiquity as the Music of the Spheres. An Acutonic treatment addresses the same health concerns and challenges that acupuncture does including the following:
- Irritable Bowel
- Menstrual Disorders